Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Jen's Journey #9 - December 2013



Merry Christmas
I pray that each one of you is having a Blessed Christmas season and getting to spend time with Family and Friends.  It is an exciting time of year that seems to always bring out the best in people.  It is strange getting ready for the holidays in a country that does not celebrate Christmas.    Without the change of schedule it is hard to really feel in the Christmas Spirit.  Yet it is not the feeling or the lights and decorations that make Christmas Special.  I find that over the last few weeks I have focused on what the real reason for the season is. 
It has been a really busy year with a lot of change taking place.  I moved to Thailand in August of this year and started studying the Thai language.  I am really enjoying it which is a surprise for me.  I am very blessed that God has given me an enjoyment for studying Thai language and culture. 
The change has not just been for myself but for my family as well. 
Martha was accepted as an appointee with OMF to serve in Taiwan.  She is hoping to head to the field February of 2015.  At present she is still working on her Bible courses but is going to be done shortly.  She is still working at the Bob Rumble Centre for the Deaf.  I am so proud of her abilities and desire to serve those that society has overlooked.
Mom is still working a lot of hours with her clients doing accounting and bookkeeping.  She is also serving with my dad in the church.  Mom is of course also busy being a huge support to Dad, Martha and of course myself.  Even from a distance she has been an amazing encouragement and strength for me.
Dad is still pastoring at Peel International Baptist Church.  This keeps him very busy with so much going on, especially at this time of year.  The church is going well and getting busy for the Christmas season.  There is always so much happening.  Dad is also been a great support for me helped me through this change over the past few months. 
I am so grateful for my Family this year.  I also thank God for so many great friends that have supported and encouraged me over the past months.  Please pray with me that I will be able to raise the required funds to bring me back up to full support. 
Merry Christmas to each one of you and May God bless you each day in the New Year.
Jen Oates

Praise                  
-       I am enjoying my Language Study more than I expected
-       God provided
-       My arrival in Chiang Mai went well and I have been made to feel very welcome by those serving here.
-       I have a House, Cat, Transportation and Language School
-       Language study is going well.

Prayer
-       For the required financial support to come in to bring me back up to Full Support.  This is the major prayer item on my mind right now.
-       For friendships with others to grow.
-       For my language skills to increase and that I will gain confidence.
-       That God will guide me to the ministry that He has planned for me.
-       For emotional strength as I miss my family and friends back home.


Thai Culture Lesson
(This is going to be a regular section to show you a bit of what I am learning)
    The Thai people don’t celebrate Christmas but they do celebrate New Year’s.  My thai language teacher is only closing the school for Christmas Day (no students were going to come anyway) but it will be closed for 3 days to prepare for and celebrate the New Year.  The Thai New year is celebrated in April with an even bigger event.   

Thai Language Lesson
(This is going to be a regular section to show you a bit of what I am learning)
khɔɔ hây mii khwam sùk wan Christmas
  May you have peace on Christmas (Merry Christmas)
lɛ sà wàt dii pii mày
  Hello (Happy) New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment