Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jen's Journey #8



 
New Home, New Reality
So much has taken place since I last wrote an update.  I will try to summarize.  At the beginning of July I left Canada and headed for 3 weeks of Orientation in Singapore before heading out to the field.  Just before the end of Orientation there was a discussion concerning my field placement and Language learning.  It was mutually decided that it would be better for me to spend a full year focusing on Language Learning (known in OMF as Daniel Training). 
So instead of heading to Lopburi in Central Thailand I went directly to Chiang Mai to begin language and culture training there.   I have joined a Thai Language School here called Manna.  I am in class for two hours a day, five days a week.  I have both group lessons as well as one on one sessions.
It was also decided that instead of striving to be ready to be a Dorm Assistant in 6 months, I should have a full year of Language and Culture.  This will assist me in being able to minister with the Thai for the long term.  Therefore at this point I will not be serving as a Dorm Assistant here in Chiang Mai. 
Over the next few months, after I have gotten settled into life here and my studies, I will be working with the leadership to search out appropriate opportunities for my future ministry.  I am actually really excited to have the chance to see what other workers are doing and how I can best fit into the team. 
I would appreciate your prayers during this time as I strive to follow the Lord’s direction in my life and ministry.
I will be posting a little more about my first days in Thailand and the various aspects of my new life in later prayer letters and my blog.

Tentative Schedule
Language Class (Lessons, Homework and Study) from 9 to 5 Monday to Friday.
Thursday        Fellowship Meal and OMF Prayer Meeting
Friday              Aqua Fit (as often as I can)
Sunday           Thai Church in Morning and English Church in Afternoon
September     7th                    Newcomers Orientation      
                        21st                  Tour of Local Market
                        27th to 29th      Women’s Conference and Retreat
October          12th                  Understanding Thai Culture Orientation
                        20th to 22nd      Go to Malaysia to get my RA Visa
November      14th                  Running OMF Prayer Meeting
Note: I will no longer be in Lopburi but attending language school in Chiang Mai.  My Chiang Mai address is below.                  
 
Thai Name

I have received my Thai name. 
This name will often have something to do with either the meaning of your English name or perhaps a description of you.
Please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is pûu-yǐng.
This name means Lady or is part of the word of Princess in Thai.  


Thai Language Lesson
(This is going to be a regular section to show you a bit of what I am learning)
Hello - sà-wàt-dee- kâ
Thank You - kòp kun kâ
Don’t Worry - mâi bpen rai kâ
What is your name? And Answer.
       kun chêu a-rai ?  dì-chăn chêu ...
Where are you from? And Answer.
       kun maa jàak tee năi? 
       dì-chăn maa jàak ..
How old are you?
       Koon aa yu tow rai?  


Thai Culture Lesson
(This is going to be a regular section to show you a bit of what I am learning)
In Thailand you will be asked a number of questions right away.
1.     What is your name?
2.     Where are you from?
3.     How old are you?
These questions will allow someone to know how they should address you.  This is not considered rude to the Thai whereas addressing someone inappropriately would be insulting to them.  
 

Praise                  
-       I arrived safely in Singapore and had a blessed time at Orientation Course.
-       I have met and made many new friends
-       My arrival in Chiang Mai went well and I have been made to feel very welcome by those serving here.
-       I have a House, Cat, Transportation and Language School
-       Language study is going well.

Prayer
-       For safe travel around the city on my bike.
-       For friendships with others to grow.
-       For safety as I am living on my own.  And for peace of mind.
-       For my language skills to increase and that I will gain confidence.
-       That God will guide me to the ministry that He has planned for me.
-       For emotional strength as I miss my family and friends back home.


OMF International, 5155 Spectrum Way, Bldg. 21, Mississauga, ON. L4W 5A1
Toll Free: 1(888) 657-8010

Blog: http://jen-journeytoasia.blogspot.com, Skype: jen.oates7

Canadian Address:
12 Bingham Rd., Brampton, ON, L6V 2K1

Thailand Mailing Address:
Jennifer Oates C/O OMF,
P.O. Box 27, Amphur Muang
Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand
 

No comments:

Post a Comment