Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Jen's Journey #10


Greetings Friends:
Life continues on here in Chiang Mai.  I am getting used to living in my community and developing some routine.  Christmas went well.  I was able to Skype with my family on Christmas morning and then was invited out for Christmas dinner.  It was a good time with friends. 
Experiencing the Olympics while in Thailand was very different.  The Thai don’t really seem to be as interested in the outcomes of the games as other cultures but the International community has a fair rivalry in the games.  I was able to watch the Canadian Men’s Hockey team win Gold with some of my Canadian co-workers.  It was a good time with all the Canadians singing the anthem afterward. 
On the Look out of Doi Sutep
I have also had my first birthday in Thailand.  This was a difficult time as I truly missed my family and friends on that day.  The small group that I joined here took me out to dinner on my birthday.  It was a lot of fun.  I have been able to make some great friends here in Chiang Mai.  I am truly blessed.
In the beginning of February I had my Book 2 exam.  I was able to pass and move on to begin learning the Thai alphabet.  It has been hard work with a lot of memorization and practice.  I have now started working on learning to read.  It is slow to start but I can see progress already.  I am really enjoying my studies. 
The day after my exam I had a minor run in with a motorcycle on my way to school.  I am truly blessed that God protected me and I was not injured seriously.  I had some soreness and scrapes but that was it.  I was able to get my bike repaired.  The best part… the bike shop repaired it for free.  Bless them. 
Now for some very exciting news.  At least it is for me.  On Friday, February 21st, the day before my birthday I received approval to begin setting up “Field Trips”.  These are visits to different teams that I can explore possible future ministry with.  This is the first step in determining where I am to be placed once my time in language study is over.  At this point I have just started the process of setting these visits up but am hoping that I will be able to do the first one in May.  Please pray with me as I (as well as the leadership and those on the teams) seek God’s direction in my future ministry. 
Blessings to you all,
Jen Oates

Tentative Schedule
Language Class (Lessons, Homework and Study) from 8 to 5 Monday to Friday.
Monday          Small Group
Thursday        Fellowship Meal and OMF Prayer Meeting
Me in a Karen Skirt
Sunday           Thai Church in Morning and English Church in Afternoon
February         5th        Book 2 Final Exam (I Passed!)
March             1st        Thai Concert
                        13th      Lead Prayer Meeting
                        31st      Lead Small Group
April        14th-16th      Songkran Festival
               19th – 21st.    Field Trip (Tentative)
Looking Ahead
June          2nd-6th        ICBM (Church Planting Seminar) Conference
            10th-15th          Field Conference (Reunion)
 
Praise                  
-       I am enjoying my Language Study more than I expected
-       God Protected me in my minor accident a few weeks ago
-       My bike was fixed easily at no cost
-       The Lord provided a bike for me to use till mine was repaired
-       I was approved to continue my Master’s Courses
-       I was approved to begin actively looking for a people group to serve with.

Prayer
-       For continued safety as I bike around the city.
-       That I will be able to sleep well.
-       For friendships with others to grow.
-       For my language skills to increase and that I will gain confidence.
-       That God will guide me to the ministry that He has planned for me.
-       For emotional strength as I miss my family and friends back home.

Carved Soaps
Thai Culture Lesson
(This is going to be a regular section to show you a bit of what I am learning)
In Thai culture it is important that you always be on time for work, school or appointments.  Yet in the Thai’s everyday life time is of little meaning.  Relationships are more important than being on time.  The Thai have a very fluid idea of time.  Evenings are spent in community and with Family.  You will often see people out on the streets very late as they socialize with each other.
Thai Language Lesson
(This is going to be a regular section to show you a bit of what I am learning)
Nûn àa ray ka?
  What is that?
yin dee têe dâi róo jàk ka.
  Nice to meet you


No comments:

Post a Comment